I will discuss the benefits of formula milk in this article. Parents may have many questions and doubts about formula milk. From this article on kiss parenting, I will talk about formula milk.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) monitors formula milk producers to ensure that these products are safe and will contribute to the healthy development of babies.
However, some women choose not to breastfeed. Doctors may also recommend formula milk feeding for women with certain diseases such as HIV or hepatitis B, those taking certain medications or women undergoing active treatment for cancer.
Some woman prefers bottle-feeding because the spouse or other caretaker can share the task of feeding. That also gives other family members some time to bond with the baby.
IN THIS ARTICLE
- What is formula milk?
- Is it safe to give formula to your baby?
- Benefits of Formula.
- Different types of formula
- How will you make baby formula?
- What quantity of formula is needed by my baby?
- At what interval should I give my baby formula milk?
- Cons of formula milk.
Everyone knows that mother’s milk is best for a baby, but sometimes some babies are deprived of breast milk due to any reasons. In this case, we give formula to our baby.
What is formula milk?
Formula milk is offered to the baby as an alternative to breast milk. This milk is made up of vitamins, fat, sugar, and other nutrients. The formula is given when the mother is unable to breastfeed the baby or due to any other reasons, the infant cannot get breast milk.
When it comes to formula the question comes to many people’s minds, is it safe for the baby? I am going to answer this later in this article.
Is it safe to give formula milk to your baby?
If your baby is not able to breastfeed then you can give formula to your baby as a safe alternative. Before giving to the baby please consult your doctor, so that he can suggest suitable milk based on the age and health of the child.
Now it is time to know the benefits of formula milk.
Benefits of formula milk.
If we talk about the benefits of, the formula then it is beneficial not only for the baby but also for the mother in different ways. Below we are detailing this: If the mother is busy with some work, then any person of family or acquaintance can feed formula to your baby.
- If your baby wakes up at night, then your husband can also feed them. It will help you immensely.
- Your baby takes a little time to digest the formula in which case he feels less hungry. For this reason, the infant does not need to be fed again and again.
- If you give formula to your child you don’t have to worry about your diet. You can eat anything and there is no fear of your child’s health.
- Nowadays, there are many formulae feeds in which the proper amount of Docosahexaenoic acid is already present. It is a fatty acid essential for brain development and physical development. Also, some research has revealed that the amount of DHA in most of the mother’s milk in India is low.
- Apart from formula milk, nowadays, the ABM technique (Expressed breast milk) has also come. In this, lactating mothers can store their milk by pumping it out. This milk can be stored in the refrigerator for about 24 hours.
- Protein hydrolysed formulas: It is formulated for children who are allergic to milk protein and have skin rashes, shortness of breath or wheezing due to allergies. This is expensive than another formula.
- Extensively Hydrolysed Formula: Another formula of milk is the hydrolysed formula. In this, the protein is broken down into smaller parts, so that the infants can easily digest it. Doctors recommend this type of formula for infants who have difficulty in digesting nutrients or who have allergic problems.
- Specialized Formulas: It is prepared for premature infants (babies born before the scheduled time) or who have a particular health problem or disorder. It can be given to the baby only after consulting the doctor. It contains about 20% more nutrients than standard formula milk. Rich in extra protein, energy, carbohydrate, fat. Standard formula milk cannot provide proper nutrition to a premature baby.
Now that you have got the necessary information related to formula milk, it is time to know how to make formula milk.
How will you make formula milk?
Keep the following points in mind while making formula milk :
- Wash your hands thoroughly before making formula milk and keep in mind that the place where you are preparing it should be clean.
- When you buy a new bottle, first put it in warm water for a while and then wash it. Later, whenever you use it, wash it with warm water.
- Now see the date of its manufacture and how long it can be used in a formula milk bottle or packet. If the usage date has been exceeded, do not use it.
- Also, use the powder within one month of opening the packet.
- Now follow the instructions in the packet and make sure that you prepare it correctly so that your child gets proper and complete nutrition.
- Boil fresh clean water in a saucepan or kettle.
- Do not let the water cool for more than 30 minutes before making the formula. Hot water helps to kill any bacteria (germs) present in the powder.
- Add the same amount of boiled water as described in the bottle.
- Use the scoop or spoon provided with the formula to measure the exact amount of powder.
- Do not use the scoop of other brands of powder, as they may be large or small, which may cause inconvenience in measuring the correct amount.
- Now put the formula in the bottle and close the bottle and stir until it dissolves well.
- Create as much formula as your baby needs at one time. Keeping more than once in a bottle can cause bacteria (germs) to grow in the bottle, due to which the child can become ill.
- Never give the remaining formula milk to the child.
- Before giving it, put it in your hand and check its temperature to see if it is hot enough.
- Whenever you make it, follow the instructions in its packet and make it accordingly.
Note: If you dilute the milk more, the nutrients present in it may be reduced. In addition, too much-condensed milk can also cause serious intestinal problems for your baby. In this case, keep in mind that the milk is neither excessively thin nor too thick.
How Much Quantity Of Formula Milk My Baby Should Consume?
The amount of formula consumed by your child varies. It depends on the age and health of your baby, how much baby formula he needs to drink. On average, your baby should be given about 2½ ounces (75 mL) of formula a day for every pound (453 grams) of body weight, but this amount can be changed to fit the baby’s needs. It is always better that you decide how much quantity of milk your baby needs.
Most babies are satisfied with 3 to 4 ounces (90–120 mL) per feed during the first month. In this case, you can increase your baby’s dose by 1 ounce (30 mL) per month, until it reaches about 7 to 8 ounces (210–240 mL). If your baby is constantly consuming more or less formula milk, you can talk to a paediatrician about this.